I’ve lived on the east coast for over a decade now, but Texas will always be home and will always have my heart. It’s been tough watching from afar, the continued rains and aftermath of Harvey. My brother-in-law lives in Houston. Thankfully, he and his neighborhood seem to be ok. (His wife is traveling in South America for work…had to leave days early to beat Harvey.) I have a cousin who is a firefighter for the Houston Fire Department. So thankful for him, all the first responders, and those who have just shown up to help. And I have a host of friends who live in and around Houston. All seem to be ok, but some have certainly lost their homes.
Texas is tough, and so are her people. They’ll recover but man will it take time. If you feel compelled to do something, thought I’d share some avenues to show some love (in addition to sending up those prayers!):
- Texas Forever: Through September 30, ALL proceeds from Magnolia’s Texas Forever shirt will go to Hurricane Harvey disaster relief efforts.
- Samaritan’s Purse: They are organizing volunteers as well as donations.
- Salvation Army: The organization is helping take care of all those helping the rescue efforts.
- Houston SPCA: For the furry Texans/Houstonians.
- South Texas Blood & Tissue Center: I read that there is a tremendous need for blood, especially O-/+.
- Texas Diaper Bank: For the littlest Texans. You can mail donations (5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, Texas 78238) or if you’re local, you can drop off.
Here’s to hoping the rains end soon…
Nothing but love for you, Texas.